mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Balloon Entertainer's Post & Tips > Entertainers Forum > Restaurants
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

Comments to bad tippers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chestnutyouth View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
06-07*

Quote chestnutyouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comments to bad tippers
    Posted: 24 October 2006 at 4:06pm
Okay so I was thinking of all the brave/ slash stupid things I've said kidding around with bad tippers.  I would love to hear some of y'all's experiences.  Not to new people though if you are going to kid about this make sure you have a good enough read to know your customer's sense of humor.  Henee, these comments can more accurately be made at a restaurants since you have spent several minutes talking with and entertaining the customer.

So one mine happened when the cousin of another local twister came in.  We joked for a while as I made them all balloons and then he hands me a $1 bill.  I then asked him "So I take you your cousin never taught you to tip either."  Since I had set the atmosphere he realized I was joking and then handed me a $5.
St. Louis Balloon Twister,

Jason Vaughn

http://HigherHopeBalloons.com
twinkles View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote twinkles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 4:48pm
I find it bad etiquette for people to tip poorly, however, I find that when you respond negatively to those people, then you have now lowered yourself to their level. 

You *never* know why certain people may or may not tip you well on a given night.  Maybe they are struggling financially, maybe they didn't know you would be there and only brought their credit card, and the list of maybes can go on and on.

There is a thread here for tips on restaurant work.  It's well worth reading through it... all of it.
TheClassyClown.com      Balloon Sculpting & Entertaining Fantastic Face Painting     Magic   &   More
chestnutyouth View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
06-07*

Quote chestnutyouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 8:39pm
I think u miss understood me I was reffering to those customers u have created a relationship with and u know the boundaries of kidding with not being rude to just joking around with. 
St. Louis Balloon Twister,

Jason Vaughn

http://HigherHopeBalloons.com
Uncle Curt View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
04-07~

Quote Uncle Curt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 8:46pm
I never kid with bad tippers.  Only once have I turned down a bad tip.  I was working the state fair, and made balloons for 15 kids that were with a daycare.  The adults with them had given me a hard time over color choices (not purple, he's a boy.  No don't make him a flower[the boy had asked for one]) etc.
The lady handed me a dollar, which I told her to keep, as she obviousley needed it more than I did.

Let me add that I had been hired to twist at a food court for people who were eating there.  This group had wandered in of the midway to get free balloons.
Mikec View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
12-07*

Quote Mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 7:45am
I had a grandmother (and from her jewlery and how the kids where dressed was well off) give me a penny after making items for her 5 grandkids..

and like her 3 granddaughters got fairy wings with a crown and ceptor... the boys got swords with sheilds and a helment...

and she did it verbaly and out in the open.. "It only a balloon its not worth more than this"
This hurt my tips for the next 15 to 20 min cause of people giving change..

I smiled and said thank you but being new to this I was in more shock than anything.. and in my mind its not the kids fault that grandma is a old bat... DISCLAIMER= the previous statment is the personal opinion of the person making it.. it is not the veiw of this website that this lady was a elderly flying animal...
Don't worry about the balloon dog biting you, they worry more about you biting them..
POP!!!
Balloon Guy Mike
JesterMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
04-07

Quote JesterMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Mikec

I had a grandmother ... give me a penny after making items for her 5 grandkids. . .. "It only a balloon its not worth more than this"
Seems like the perfect time to get out the extra 'balloon shine' to spray the balloons, for extra protection.smiley2  You bet, ma'am, this Citrus Spray will not only make them look like completely different balloons, but they'll smell really nice, too. Hehehe!smiley15   Pssssssttttt... While I agree with Twinkles, that it is at least equally bad etiquette to make a comment about a tip, I would have a difficult time swallowing hard on that one, and moving on with no response. But, I always try to focus on the other side... the folks that give a pretty picture of Andrew Jackson, and they don't even know what I'll make them, yet.

I've been fortunate... all my small change tips have come from the child's own pocket, so they were good tips in my mind.

JesterMan

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!

"destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology..." FZ

www.JesterMan.com
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 11:43am

I had a grandmother give me a penny after making items for her 5 grandkids..  and she did it verbaly and out in the open.. "It only a balloon its not worth more than this" 

Thankfully I was never in the described situation but I think I'd given back the penny for everyone to see, meanwhile stating ''These 7 dollars of balloons are on me''.

Or maybe even better:
When receiving the penny, give 2 dollars back (yes, that's correct) and state ''I'll make it 8 dollars for you''
This does two things: Besides the 'sign' you're giving your environment the woman receives more value back from you than she gave you and may be realising the effort you're taking.

You loose two dollars, but the tips might not be distroyed with the next table.

Would something like that work you think?

Patrick
Ballonkunstenaar Patrick - innovative balloon designs
- In limitation lies the true chance for creativity -
JesterMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
04-07

Quote JesterMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 12:00pm
Patrick,

I like the first idea better, but... I'd double (at least... maybe triple or quadruple) that price. Some of the stuff was more than simple 1 or two balloon creations. *** Unless you are just counting the actual cost of the materials, then you are much closer.smiley2

The most that I would actually (possibly) do would be to quietly hand her the penny back, and say that it is not necessary. This only because any adult American with a modicum of sense knows that a penny is a rude tip. (If they weren't from here, they may come from a place where tipping is unknown, or at least unfamiliar to them.)

JesterMan

www.JesterMan.com
mbfloyd View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
02-07

Quote mbfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 12:45pm
I have had simular situations.

When some one tries to tip me with change, I would simply decline the tip and tell them to keep the change and enjoy the balloon.

This makes all following tables who see you take notice.

Change is not an acceptable tip, so don't accept it. ( except from young kids that  are carring their piggy banks)

I have noticed that this will stop the tide of bad tippers that would follow with thier change, after seeing you accept change as a tip.

Most people want to tip, but only as much as they are expected to do.

By accepting change as a tip, you lower that expectation.

By declining change as an acceptable tip, you let others know what an acceptable tip is.

You may had to give away a few tip=less balloons, but you will see better tips in general.
macpump View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
10-08p

Quote macpump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 1:37pm
I agree with Patrick on this one on both points. Just know which one to use but, both are very effective in damage control. I can lose a table but not five. Sometimes I've had other people slip me a tip because they feel bad for the kids it's not their fault grandma is cheep.
MACPUMP-http://www.MacPump.Net
mandy View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
03-12p

Quote mandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 1:44pm
isnt there a way you can innoffensibly (is that a word?)let people know what a good tip is? could i wear my scrolling badge and let them know that way?
mandy
mbfloyd View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
02-07

Quote mbfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 3:53pm
but if you let tell them how much.

It is a price, and you are charging them.

Thus it would be a different game entirely.

Uncle Curt View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
04-07~

Quote Uncle Curt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 8:10pm

to the old bat with the penny tip.

"Congratulations maam, you hold the record for the smallest tip I have ever been insulted by!"

mandy View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
03-12p

Quote mandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 9:34pm
couldnt i put "loose change is heavy to carry so please tip thoughtfully." or something a bit more humerous but to the point.thats not charging is it?
mandy
graceful View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
06-10

Quote graceful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 9:53pm
I wouldn't Mandy, you don't even want the idea of loose change in their heads.

Faye
http://GracefulBalloonArt.com
Mikec View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
12-07*

Quote Mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 10:36pm
I am constantly telling jokes and having ALOT of fun with my crowds...
I say things like
"HEY!! its POP art and as one of the premier pop artists I garantee my work.. if it doesnt POP bring it back I will pop it for you"
If someone askes about how much they are "and here in atlanta it hapens like every 3rd or 4th person" I repley "I am working for tips, the suggested tip is 60 thousand and I do take checks and money orders... "I then pause before cracking a grin" then laugh and say.. na I'm just joking UNLESS you want to tip that much.. but any amount will do just fold it and drop it in the tip jar "as I point to my tip jar attached to my pump"
after they tip I usualy say something like
Why thank you sir that supports two of my bad habits... "I pause till they look back at me" yeah two of em Eating and sleeping indoors....

I have found that 98% of the time that these lines work great in my area and for me... but I am joking the whole time and with everyone...

also the bad habits bit.. does a few things...
1 it lets them know that I do this for a living
2 that I apreciate them and their time waiting for a balloon
3 lets them leave with a grin
Don't worry about the balloon dog biting you, they worry more about you biting them..
POP!!!
Balloon Guy Mike
mbfloyd View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
02-07

Quote mbfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 11:05pm
nice lines mike
Mr. Honkers View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
08-08**

Quote Mr. Honkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 11:44pm

nice ones Mikec.

I think the key wording in there is "fold it and drop it in the jar."
Unless your speaking to someone from the planet Krypton, they aren't folding too many coins.  You're not saying much, but you're really getting the point across.
Mr. Honkers, a.k.a. Jeff
JesterMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
04-07

Quote JesterMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2006 at 12:24am
I agree about the folding part... an excellent, somewhat subtle touch. And, if they give me a folding coin, I'll be happy, too. Those things are pricey!

JesterMan

www.JesterMan.com
qwinkly View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
01-08

Quote qwinkly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2006 at 10:23pm

after they tip I usualy say something like
Why thank you sir that supports two of my bad habits... "I pause till they look back at me" yeah two of em Eating and sleeping indoors....

I like where Mikec has taken this topic.  Perhaps others would like to post what constructive things they say when they get a tip. 
http://Qwinkly.BalloonHQ.com

If it weren't for gravity, jugglers would just throw up!

Want to know how to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans !!
topcat View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote topcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2006 at 12:16am
While busking , I often use this line.....
a child will ask for a dog or whatever, and I'll reply, great, do you want the $5 dog or the $10 dog ?
Doesn't matter what the kid replies, the look on Dad's face is sometimes priceless.
Then I smile to Dad and say, "It's actually the same dog, you decide what it's worth," or something equally disarming. More $5 tips, fewer singles.

JesterMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
04-07

Quote JesterMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2006 at 12:30am
I like it...   Just hope he doesn't give you his ... two cents ...  about what it's worth to him. smiley2

I especially like that you are humorously inviting them to tip higher, but not demanding, and you are working to encourage bills, rather than snarling when you get coins... which is bad form, really.

JesterMan

www.JesterMan.com
 Post Reply Post Reply